WHY SOFT-WASH IS THE SUPERIOR ROOF CLEANING METHOD
Power washing a roof can cause long term damage along with voiding the warranty of your roofing shingle. Let’s approach this as an infection however some may consider it a stain.
Never pressure wash a roof! Pressure washing an asphalt roof shingle can undoubtedly damage the shingle. Not to mention does nothing to solve the underlying infection causing the stain. A dirty looking roof is most likely suffering from an infection of algae, moss and not to mention lichen.
We must achieve a 100% kill ratio on every cell of algae and every root of moss. Anything less than a complete sterilization is an attempt in vein, like going against a doctors recommendation and taking less than a fully prescribed treatment of antibiotics. We all know what happens if we don’t complete a full bottle of prescribed antibiotics. We get sick all over again and the infection comes back worse and equally important more resistant.
Asphalt shingle, slate roof cleaning and cedar roof cleaning can be performed without using a pressure washer. Our approach to this problem is not necessarily to clean your roof, but rather to solve an infection. A clean roof is merely a by-product of solving the infection. Blasting high pressured water will not sterilize the roof and solve the infection. Power washing a roof can potentially wash away large amounts of roofing granules and shorten the life of the roof.
ROOF CLEANING – DONE THE RIGHT WAY
Thompson Roof Cleaning & Power Washing follows the strict guidelines outlined by all major roof shingle manufactures. We never scrub, scrape or pressure wash a roof. We offer a simple approach to solving the infection of algae and moss.
It will not harm or discolor the shingle and will solve the infection. But please don’t just take my word for it. At the end of this paragraph there is a clickable link directly to the Timberline GAF site. In light of Timberline as the largest and most popular shingle maker in the United States in the link you will find instructions and endorsement of the type of product to clean a roof.
We know there are tons of questions and concerns about the use of bleach. If you’re not sure which method is right for you, a good start would be to check manufacturers suggestions. Here is a bulletin from Timberline Roofing Shingles, the largest shingle manufacturer in the United States. See their bulletin HERE.
WHAT’S IN THE ROOF CLEANING SOAP?
Let’s have a conversation about the use of bleach on a roof. We will try to answer the major concerns pertaining to the using a bleach based soap. Most of our clients have no issue on the matter. But even we wish there was some other magical solution to cleaning a roof, but there isn’t. Bleach based soaps work. They solve the infection and leave behind no residual toxicity.
As a matter of fact: The largest purchasers of sodium hypochlorite are local municipalities. They put SH into your tap water to keep it sterile. It is also used in swimming pools and gym saunas.
Using a bleach based soap is what allows us to clean a roof without using a pressure washer. If a roof cleaning contractor is not using bleach to clean a roof, they are using a pressure wash method. Theres is no in between. Bleach or pressure wash. Only one is endorsed by the manufacturer, and pressure wash is not it. Any other method or product other than bleach can damage the shingle and void the warranty.
We clean roofs by applying a safe biodegradable detergent that instantly kills moss, mold and algae. After applying the treatment anything that is alive will not be alive once we are done. Power washing with high pressure water does not create sterilization. When a hospital wants to sterilize there facilities they use a proper disinfecting detergent. When you want to sterilize your kitchen counter for cooking you spray on the proper disinfecting spray. Same goes for your roof.
A completely sterilized roof will remain clean for a considerable amount of time. Each full roof cleaning is guaranteed in full 3 years except for areas of drainage from one roof to another or if a roof has improper pitch/puddling.
OUR ROOF CLEANING GALLERY
TRUST THOMPSON ROOF CLEANING
As you search for roof cleaning contractors you will find some companies offering plant friendly, bleach free, or other feel good term type of roof cleaning. They claim to use a low pressure power washing procedure. These are the companies that offer 2 year warranties at best. That’s because they treat the problem like a stain. The are using a pressure washer to blast away the stains. Yes, it will appear clean but it won’t be sterile. You will not be able to see with the naked eye microscopic residue left behind
In addition to using a pressure washer to remove moss it will only remove what’s at the top and not the root and correspondingly the stain will return rather quickly. Remember: Clean is a perception. In light of limited human eyesight, clean does not mean sterile. Just like gas station sushi can appear sterile until you eat it and wind up in the emergency room (as wells as needing more food).
We approach the stain as an infection. Furthermore we create a 100% sterile surface. You can be sure the roof remains stain free for an extended period of time similarly for asphalt roofs, cedar roofs, slate roofs, cement and tile roofs. By the same token with our roof cleaning service you can expect:
- Removal Of Unwanted Pests – A roof with moss, mold, lichen and black stains absolutely cannot reflect sunlight. It should be noted a lack of reflection creates higher attic temps and increased cooling costs in the summer. Not to mention these organisms are literally eating your roof. This is why we treat the problem like “pest control”.
- Efficient & Safe Service – Moreover the detergent is applied using a pressure no greater than 65 psi, which is a pressure equivalent to most pressures of a garden hose. We guarantee a 100% kill ratio of roof growths such as mold, moss, algae, and gleocapsa magma (which is the strand that causes those ugly black stains on an asphalt roofing shingle).
- Lower Energy Costs – Particularly when you compare the cost of premature roof replacement and the increased electricity bills with the cost of treating a roof, you will quickly see that it IT PAYS!
WE OFFER SUPERIOR ROOF CLEANING SERVICE!
When all possible, we try never to step foot on the roof. We make every attempt to treat all roofs from the gutter line.
We provide a ground man for every job to keep landscapes and surrounding thoroughly watered to ensure all areas are unaffected should overspray become an issue. Gutter downspouts are bagged to collect any runoff.
Our roofing detergents are rapidly biodegradable. For these reasons the roof soap dries it becomes inert and harmless.
A FREE ESTIMATE IS A PHONE CALL AWAY
- Request a copy of our liability and/or workers compensation insurance and of course wee will gladly send a copy to your home or business by fax or mail.
- We will take the time to explain each job as well as offer the most effective and affordable solution for your situation.
- Every job, big or small, is as important as the next. We are uniquely qualified for large scale cleaning.
- We never ask for payment before the job is complete.
- Every roof cleaning comes with a 3 Year Spot Free Warranty. This warranty is of course standard and is fully explained on every invoice.
- We have 3 fully stocked mobile cleaning trucks to handle any job, any size, any time.
- Since 1996 we have serviced New Jersey for exterior cleaning needs. Feel confident knowing we’ll be here next year should you need us.